Self-compassion is extending compassion to one’s self in circumstances where we perceive ourselves as inadequate or helpless. It’s practice is associated with greater well-being, including diminished anxiety and depression, and better emotional coping skills. Many people give themselves a very hard time. Here are some tips for learning how to be a lot more forgiving of yourself.
10 Tips for more self-compassion:
1. How we translate failure is critical. Start seeing your failures as temporary setbacks.
2. Embrace your imperfection as something you share with every human being on the planet.
3. Accept the reality that none of us have total control over everything.
4. Consider what you have in common with your fellow human beings – vulnerability.
5. Remind yourself how you’d treat a good friend after failing or being rejected. Give yourself some of the same sympathy.
6. Have some compassionate phrases ready for the tough times i.e This is a moment of suffering. Suffering is part of life. I need to mind myself.
7. Learn how to meditate. Learn how to calm yourself down.
8. Step outside your circle. Remove yourself from the noise of life even for an hour and do something that will ‘lift’ your spirits or soothe you. You are entitled to do things that you love doing despite the challenges that you encounter
9. Accept the love and support offered by others as a gift not an intrusion.
10. Remind yourself that life is precious and time is passing. Whatever crisis you are experiencing now will become something that you will look back on.
(C) Shane Martin