People can be so hard on themselves. I have had the privilege of meeting many broken people. That very brokenness validates their humanity. We are all vulnerable beings on a journey – a journey which we only make once. Often people hammer themselves. They become their own worst enemy. I remember someone asking me once – Am I the worse case that you’ve ever come across? Too many people measure their own self-worth by comparing themselves to others. We need to embrace our weaknesses. We need to accept our imperfection as something that we have in common with everyone else on the planet. We need to start loving ourselves more. Here are ten tips of mine which will hopefully allow you to be compassionate towards yourself.
1. Remind yourself of the things that you are good at. Everyone has inner strengths.
2. Stop doing things for praise. See praise as a bonus for doing the right things.
3. Some people have very positive conversations about you when you’re not around. Sometimes people forget to affirm you.
4. Do not measure your self-worth by comparing yourself to others. There will always be people that have things which you desire.
5. Stop trying to become someone else. Embrace the wonderful person that you are already.
6. Everyone is imperfect. We all make mistakes. You share this imperfection with everyone else on the planet.
7. You are a unique person with a unique contribution to make to this world. Life is a gift and so are you.
8. Remind yourself that your mood is coloured by the conversations that you have with yourself. Focus on what is right about yourself and your life.
9. Remind yourself of some of your achievements. No one is a total disaster!!
10. Open yourself up socially and engage in many social circles. Investment in numerous friendships leaves you less dependent on a few.